Macarena Bernal – Tutor of Resin Jewellery workshop, Make a Silver Ring Workshop and Design and Make Jewellery term classes
Chilean national, resident of New Zealand since 2012, and a citizen since 2018, Macarena has a Bachelor’s Degree in Visual Arts from Finis Terrae University in Santiago, an Advanced Diploma in Jewellery Practice from MIT in Auckland, a Post Graduate Degree and a Master’s Degree from the Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin School of Arts.
Macarena Bernal chooses Contemporary Jewellery as her medium for its wearability offers interactivity. In her work she explores alternative ideas of value in jewellery by capitalising on the bonds between jewellery and wearer, propounding jewellery as wearable forms of archive, or using it as a platform to make sociopolitical statements.
She has received the following awards in New Zealand:
- Fingers Gallery, Graduating Students Award, 2014.
- Objectspace Gallery, Annual Emerging Practice Award, 2016.
- ”Kairangatira” Excellence award for outstanding achievement,
MIT Jewellery Department, 2016.
- Molly Morpeth Canaday Awards 3D Finalist, 2018.
Her works can be found in the following Collections:
- Maria Jose van der Hoult, private jewellery collection, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, Est 2018
- Jorunn Veiteberg’s private jewellery collection, Norway, Est March 2018
- Musee des Arts Décoratives, Paris France, permanent contemporary jewellery collection, Est 2018.
Follow Macarena on Instagram @macabjewellery